RemasterSys : Ultimate Simplistic Cloning Software : Virtual Box Problem VboxAdd 999

I use Remastersys for cloning the Ubuntu with custom softwares. This helps me in installing my clones which have updates and esstential softwares like chrome, vlc, emacs by default.

I had used it last 3 years back. Then it had no competition. Today i installed Ubuntu 14.04 and the first thing i did was install essential softwares and then remastersys. I am such a fan of it.

However, things were not that smooth. I was using VirtualBox and ISOs that i created were not working properly. Asking me for password for "Vboxadd" user.

I started Googling.. and i found that RemasterSys is dead... [0] WTF...

and then the whole day went into finding some other replacement.. from Ubuntu-Builder to relinux..

Ubuntu-Builder does not clone our system but reconfigure an existing ISO with new softwares. I did not wanted to install the essential softwares again. So i choose relinux.
And it was working when it was running.. However i noticed that its output console looked so much similar to Remastersys.. and then began Googling.. again.

And what i found was a shock.. Remastersys was not dead.. but was the victim of Relinux propaganda.. Relinux is just a abandoned fork of Remastersys. However, it claimed to be superior of Remastersys, which is BS... I could not even reach the login screen for relinux isos..
Later i found some apology letter online from Relinux guy for his acts.

I started searching my "vboxadd" user problem and found solution on the Remastersys forums.
It was Virtual Box problem. It had added "vboxadd" user with uid of 999.. [1] Yes this number was causing problem.. I changed it.. and there i was with my ISO.. i burned it but again i found myself facing login screen but this time with no username.. i tried everything but nothing worked..

so this is when i was just giving up hope.. but then i thought that may be Vbox is doing something more bad.. so just randomly i looked into VBox groups and there it was..

`ls /etc/group | grep "999"`

and i found "vboxsf" with groupid of 999..

[1] I just changed it to 998 and Build the ISO again.. and ran it and Jumped in air when it worked..

hail Remastersys..

I wanted to mail this to remastersys or put it in their forums but i think that guy has become very cautious and has over complicated system for authentication and all.. so..

[NOTE]
[0] Remastersys main website made me believe this
[1] i did lot other things while changing the gid.. look at Unix StackExchange Question
[2] this is remastersys post : RemasterSys Problem VirtualBox













Comments